Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to edit video using Avidemux

There are many apps out there that let you edit a video, but the one I'll be talking about today is called Avidemux, which is free for both Windows, MacOs and Linux, though I'll be demonstrating it on Windows.

You can use it to cut down long videos, or to edit out bits you don't want, and it can also do this losslessly if you're careful.

Firstly, launch the program and add a video to it, you can do this either by using the File / Open menu, or by dragging a video onto it from file explorer. You can use the timeline control below the video (highlighed in the image) to scrub through it to find any areas you don't want to include, like below:

[Image: e1.jpg]

Once you've found the bit you don't like, it's important to move to a keyframe. It's not important to know what a keyframe is, but unless you select one at each end of the edit, you won't be able to save the video without re-encoding it, which will reduce the quality.

Using the previous / next keyframe buttons (you can also use the up and down arrows on your keyboard) as shown below in yellow, find the start point in the video you'd like to remove. Once you're happy, click the set start marker button, highlighted in green on the left.

[Image: e2.jpg]

Now move through the video to find where you'd like to end the cut. Again use the previous / next keyframe buttons to find an appropriate keyframe then click the set end marker button, highlighted in green in the previous image, on the right.

You'll then end up with a section of the video marked. To remove it you can simply press the delete key, or use the Edit / Delete menu. As long as both ends of the cut were on a keyframe, you can save. One thing to be aware of is the Video Decoder settings, for the best results you want the video and audio outputs to be set to copy, and the Output format to match that of the input file. Since I imported an MP4 video, I've changed the output format to use the MP4 muxer while keeping the video and audio decoders set to copy, as shown below.

[Image: e3.jpg]

Once you're happy with the edit, you can hit the save button on the toolbar, or use the File / Save menu to save the video. It is best to give it a different filename to the one you started with!